Updated 06 January 2023
These past few years have had a tremendous impact on how we work, live our lives and travel. Although the pandemic is over, Covid-19 continues to be a reality for all of us. A few measures are still in place in the City of Athens, to protect yourselves and prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2.
What the remaining rules mean if you’re in Athens:
Masks are still mandatory in all public transport, their platforms and stops. Wearing masks is not required in most indoor spaces, with the exception of Hospitals and Apothecaries. In all other situations, the use of marks is highly recommended, but not obligatory.
Rules, measures and COVID-testing protocols regarding flights to Athens:
If you are planning on visiting Athens via the Athens International Airport, please make sure to read more detailed information on COVID-19, restrictions and measures on their official page. As of January 2023, visitors travelling directly from China are required to hold a negative test result (antigenic rapid detection test, or molecular test) taken within 48 hours before their departure. To find out more about official protocols regarding arrivals and departures in Greece, and how to obtain them, please refer to your airlines of choice and also here.
Going to an Event?
Events and live performances have returned in Athens, both in outdoor and indoor spaces. However, cancellations and postponements might still happen. We are doing our best to keep up with this evolving situation but recommend that you check directly with the event organizer or host venue for confirmation either on their website or Facebook page.
Stay Safe in Athens
In accordance with the safety and precautionary guidelines issued by the WHO, we advise the following measures:
- Remain at least one metre away from other people and avoid all crowded places where possible
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue (not your hands) when sneezing or coughing
- Clean and disinfect regularly touched objects and surfaces to reduce the risk of spreading germs
- Persons experiencing symptoms or with a fever higher than 37.5° are strongly recommended to stay at home, limit all social contacts as much as possible, and to seek medical advice
How the City of Athens is working to keep you safe
The City of Athens continues to take all necessary actions and measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, while providing access to healthcare, shelter, food, masks, social support and essential supplies to vulnerable groups.
The following hospitals have been assigned to accept and deal with possible Covid-19 cases:
- Sotiria Hospital, 152 Mesogion.
- Evaggelismos Hospital, 45-47 Ipsilandou.
- Attikon Hospital, 1 Rimini.
- Ano Patisia Municipal Clinic, 4 Sarandaporou.
- NIMTS, 10 Monis Petraki.
- Attica Clinic, G. Gennimata Avenue, Elefsina.