For your own convenience, we suggest checking directly with the event organiser or host venue for confirmation or with Culture is Athens.
Ready, steady, glow! Christmas in Athens is on and the City has announced its festive programme, packed with free events taking place all across Athens. From December 1st until January 7th (when the festive season officially ends in our parts), Athens will wear its most Yuletide colours, offering 38 days of non-stop festive fun for all types and ages. With free music concerts in both central locations and off-the-beaten track paths, children's activities and street parties, as well as the decked out schedule of the Kypseli Municipal Market, and a Christmas village in every neighbourhood, you'll always be two steps away from Christmas wherever you go in Athens this December.
Walking around Athens this December and wondering where that music you hear is coming from? Well, you're probably near a free Christmas concert, one of the many taking place across the city this festive season. From carols from around the world, to jazz concerts, swing sessions and traditional Greek music, find the festive soundtrack of your choice and rejoice.
- 03/12 at 6 pm : Hymns and carols from across the world at the Literary Society Parnassos.
- 17/12 at 12 pm: Traditional Christmas dances and songs by the Athens Section of the International Dance Council at the Anna Maria Kalouta Centre.
- 19/12 at 1 pm: The Greek Music Workshop performs classic melodies by great Greek composers such as Dionysis Savvopoulos, Mikis Theodorakis, Manos Hajidakis, Stavros Xarchakos and more, at Dionysiou Areopagitou Street.
- 19/12 at 5.30 pm: Christmas songs for kids at the Anna Maria Kalouta Centre.
- 20-24/12 at 12 pm & 6pm: Double concert slots at Syntagma Square, the heart of Athens, by popular Greek singers and their bands.
- 21/12 at 12 pm: Swinging Xmas with the Athens Big Band featuring Alex Affolter at Dionysiou Areopagitou Street.
- 24/12 at 12 pm: Christmas Visions at the Maria Callas Museum featuring Christmas suites from the Renaissance until today.
- 26/12 at 6 pm: Syntagma Square concert with Jerome Kaluta performing Motown songs.
- 27-28/12 at 12 pm & 6 pm: Festive concerts at Syntagma Square.
- 29/12 at 8.30 pm: The Greek Music Workshop performs at the Olympia Municipal Music Theatre Maria Callas (ticketed event).
- 30/12 at 4 pm: Christmas Visions at the Maria Callas Museum.
For more Christmas inspiration, check out this season's events here.