Step into one of the oldest art expos in Europe, Art Athina. The international contemporary art fair, which celebrates its 30th edition this year, returns to the grounds of the fabulous Zappeion Megaron and hosts 67 art spaces from Greece—several of which you will already be familiar with if you’ve read our insider’s guide to Athenian galleries—and nine from Germany, France, the Netherlands, Cyprus, the UK, Switzerland, Poland, and Romania. This year’s rich programme includes the following sections:
- Projects: an intriguing segment spotlighting independent art spaces that carry distinct creative voices;
- Talks: renowned guest speakers will engage audiences across four different thematic components;
- Video: an avenue to connect audiences with trailblazing audiovisual art;
- Performance: this segment puts performing arts in the spotlight, welcoming groundbreaking acts to Greece for their inaugural performances;
- Kids’ Education Programme: Art Athina is not just for grown-ups! Kids aged six and above will have the opportunity to explore art through fun educational activities.
This year’s Art Athina also highlights design with two compelling exhibitions: Firstly, Mare Studio's "In Conversation with a Chair" exhibition will guide us through over a century of Greek tradition, design, and craftsmanship, through the modest form of the chair. Secondly, the garden of Zappeion Megaron will host the “Garden x BlueCycle” project, a special initiative advocating for a green and circular economy. BlueCycle will create a garden project complete with furniture and design items in their signature style.
Last but not least, part of the space will be dedicated to the commemorative booklet on Art Athina’s 30-year history. The booth will host highlights with the important moments and people that made Art Athina shine all through its three-decade trajectory.