Sustainable events in Athens
With the launch of the UN 17 Sustainable Development Goals, the meetings industry has refocused towards the 2030 achievement of responsible targets. As the meeting industry looks for solutions towards a sustainable future, our potential for our sector to create positive impact also increases.
At This is Athens-Convention & Visitors Bureau, we support sustainable practices and our members by providing training on the implementation of sustainable event planning processes and thus creating a culture of sustainable decision-making. Through sustainability practices we contribute to efficiently address the global challenges.
Sustainable practices checklist:
- Reduce event waste by choosing reusable food & beverage cutlery
- Choose a catering partner with compost food and waste programmes
- Choose greek products from small local producers and greek plant-rich diets.
- Replace printed communication elements with digital elements (reusable name tags, digital signage)
- Reduce energy consumption by applying LED lighting and screens
- Reduce the number and variety of amenities
- Serve tap water. Athens has excellent water quality.
- Offer sustainable activities to guests such as hiking or cultural site seeing
- Walk/ Public transport: Encourage delegates to walk to and from meeting sessions and promote the use of public transportation i.e. metro, hybrid buses, trolleybuses, trams.
- Advocate for collaborating with ethical and sustainable suppliers
Green highlights about Athens
- Athens International Airport -AIA 1st carbon neutral airport in Greece, will achieve Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2025
- Multitude of available green & open-air spaces that provide safety and ventilation for your guests
- 30+ Green Key properties in Athens