The "This is Athens with a Local" programme
The "This is Athens with a Local" programme is an internet platform, organized and operated by the municipal company "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA" (henceforth ADDMA SA).
The programme aims at bringing together people who visit Athens for any reason, with residents, who voluntarily and without any financial reward or other compensation want to show their neighborhood and in general the places where they live in and visit in their everyday life. This way, the visitor takes part in an Athenian’s everyday life and sees the city though the local’s perspective.
"This is Athens with a Local", is a programme that -corresponding to the idea of similar programmes in other European and non-European cities- aims to highlight the authentic and multidimensional "character" of Athens, that is offering unique experience to visitors through their interactive relationship with city residents. In this way “This is Athens with a Local" contributes to the activation and reinforcement of the universal consciousness of the city's residents through innovative visitor’s reception and hospitality activities.
Participation in the programme is free, on condition that the terms are accepted and the application submitted, which is evaluated by the "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA". Under no circumstances participating locals provide guiding services, as defined by Law. 710/1977 and its supplementary provisions. If the visitor is interested in being guided to the sights of Athens, ancient or historical monuments, works of art of each era, they are referred to the Licensed Tourist Guides Union.
In this context interested participants, including visitors and locals who have voluntarily registered in the programme, state that they agree and accept the following:
- Residents-volunteers are not "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA "’s employees and they cannot be considered in any sense as additional employees or working under any contract or relationship or even as apprentices.
- All individuals participate voluntarily in the programme, without requiring any financial remuneration, periodic or one-time fee or anything else in return from "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA" or from Athens’ visitors.
- Residents-volunteers are solely responsible for their behavior towards visitors, which should be decent, without any discrimination and with respect to the visitor’s background.
- Accordingly guests are solely responsible for their behavior towards volunteers, which should be decent, without any discrimination and with respect to the volunteer.
- There is no claim of any kind from "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA " if they suffer any illegal, unfair or unethical act by guests encountered, from which indeed they resign expressly.
- They accept that volunteers do not provide (even pro bono) guide services, as these are provided only by authorized tourist guides. Particularly, they do not accompany guests to sights of Athens, ancient or historical monuments, works of art of each era, explaining their significance, destination and their history and providing general information about ancient and modern Greece.
- Volunteers avoid accompanying large number of visitors (resembling a “group’’).
- All participants are to inform the "Athens Development and Destination Management Agency SA" about any problem that might arise during their participation in the programme and they possibly suggest solutions.
- All participants explicitly consent to the use of their personal data solely for the platform.
- No participant is allowed to share, sell or give access to other participant’s personal data, that have been acquired through this platform.
- All participants’ data will be stored for up to three (3) years, for future communications and promotional reasons at servers within the European Union and regulated under EU law.
- All audiovisual material that might be taken or recorded by the participants and/or of the participants during the walk arranged through the platform may be used for the future promotion of the programme.
- All participants can request access to their personal data. Further, we can provide a copy of the personal data, free of charge, in an electronic format.
- Once we have compared your (the subjects') rights to "the public interest in the availability of the data", we may delete your personal data where you have requested this.