THE BIRTHPLACE OF DEMOCRACY IS RENOWNED FOR SOME OF THE WORLD’S GREATEST CULTURAL MONUMENTS
It is an undisputable fact that Greek architects provided some of the most distinctive buildings in the entire Ancient World. Temples, treasuries and Stoas all build par excellence, with sophisticated geometry and optical tricks to present perfect harmony. The Greek concern with simplicity, geometry, perspective and harmony greatly provided the foundation for the classical architectural orders that would dominate the western world from the Renaissance to the present day.
The city and accordingly the architecture of Athens go well back in the prehistoric times, through the dark ages and the classic period. Move forward to the Hellenistic period, until the first commercial center of Athens, the Roman Agora be built, till the Byzantine and the post Byzantine ERA.
Athens in the 19th century draws another line, becoming from a regional town of the Ottoman Empire, the capital of the kingdom of Greece. At the end of 19th century and the new Athenian consciousness till the preservation of Neo-classical buildings, this city is vibrant and contemporary with plenty of stories to share.
Neighborhoods of: Plaka, Monastiraki, around the Acropolis Hill.
- Parthenon - Acropolis by the architects Iktinos and Kallicrates under the direction of Pheidias.
- Propylaea - Athens by Mnesicle.
- Panathenaic Stadium built by the architect Ernst Ziller and later renovated by Anastasios Metaxas.
Neighborhoods of central Athens: Kotzia square, Athinas street, Plaka, Kolonaki, Kerameikos, Thissio.
The Athens Trilogy:
- The National Library by Theophil Hansen and Ernst Ziller.
- The National University of Athens by Theophil Hansen.
- The Academy of Athens by Theophil Hansen.
- The Benaki Museum - Main Building by Anastasios Metaxas.
- Islamic Art Museum - Kerameikos by P. Kalligas.
Neighborhoods around Strephi and Lycabettus hills: Exarchia and Kolonaki.
- The Blue Building by Kostis Antonopoulos.
- Circular School by Takis Zenetos.
- Athens Olympic Sports Complex by Calatrava.
- Fix Brewery by Takis Zenetos.
- Athens Tower by Ioannis Vikelas.
- American Embassy by Walter Gropius.
Neighborhoods north of Athens like Halandri, Marousi, Psychiko, in the south, Glyfada and centrally Mets.
- The New Acropolis Museum by Bernard Tschumi and Michael Fotiadis.
- The New Benaki Museum by M. Kokkinou & A. Kourkoulas.
- Deutsche School Athen by Potiropoulos D + L Architects.
- Onassis Cultural Center by Architecture Studio and Burrell Foley Fischer LL.
IMPORTANT BUILDINGS TRIVIA.
- 1456 Fetiye Mosque
- 1501 Baths of the Winds (Old Hammam)
- 1601 Agii Anargyri Church
- 1674 Kleanthis Schaubert Mansion - The Old University
- 1701 MIET Education Foundation for the National Bank
- 1834 Metaxourghio - Old Silk Factory
- 1835 Old Criminal Court
- 1836 Old Palace - The Greek Parliament
- 1839 Anglican Church of St Paul
- 1842 Cathedral of Athens
- 1843 Hatzikiriakos House
- 1847 Anafiotika neighborhood
- 1853 Agios Dionysios Catholic Church
- 1858 Old Parliament
- 1859 Academy of Athens
- 1860 Gazi
- 1862 National Technical University Complex
- 1866 National Archaeological Museum
- 1870 Attikon Movie Theatre
- 1872 Athens Town Hall
- 1878 Iliou Melathron
- 1891 National Theatre
- 1894 Panathenaic Stadium
- 1895 Stathatos Mansion - The Museum of Cycladic Art
- 1920 Palamas House
- 1923 Gennadeios Library
- 1926 Athens University of Economics and Business
- 1930 Athinon Theatre
- 1933 Refugee Apartment Blocks
- 1935 Rex Movie Theatre
- 1970 Athens Tower